This dish started as a ‘what can we have for tea that will only take 10 minutes’ mad rush, but actually it was bloody delicious. At the time of the panic Mr Rose and I were in London and needed something for tea when we got back to York. We ducked into Wholefoods for a meander round and picked up some delicious ingredients to cook with when we got home. I could have spent hours in there just looking around and buying really expensive foods that I don’t really need.
In my opinion there’s little better than homemade pesto for tea. It fills the house with such a lovely smell and it tastes way better than the jarred variety. I made mine in the Thermomix (see I am using it) but it could be easily made in a food processor too. Mr Rose protested a few times that making pesto was too much effort and we’d be too tired. I pretended it was a great slog and I was such a hard working wife, but it literally only took me 30 seconds to make it!
Ingredients for pesto (makes about 4 servings)
- 80g parmesan cheese but up into small squares
- 60g pine nuts
- 80g fresh basil
- 120g extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
Thermomix method for pesto
- Put the parmesan cheese in the mixing bowl and grate 10sec/speed 10.
- Add pine nute, basil, olive oil, garlic clove and salt. Chop 20 sec/speed 7.
Ingredients for dish
- 1 chorizo sausage
- Handful of spinach
- 1 red onion – chopped
- Fresh pesto (see above)
- 150g pasta (I chose spelt after a recommendation from Lily Pebbles and it was delicious)
Method for dish
- Put the spelt pasta on to boil and cook according to packet instructions. Mine took 7 minutes.
- Fry the red onion in a little bit of coconut oil.
- Add the chorizo sausage and stir until the onion is coated in the chorizo juices.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the fresh pesto and stir to combine.
- Once cooked, add the paste and stir to combine.
- Add a handful of spinach. Wait for it to wilt a little.
- Serve with a grating of parmesan on top.
For a quick ‘I can’t be bothered’ tea it was lovely and I think we were both secretly a bit proud that we didn’t just whack a pizza in the oven!
If you try it let me know.
Happy healthy cooking and a Happy New Year.
Around the Corner Fitness.